To embark on implementing Agile at enterprise level, an organisation will require many things to be aligned and in place.
Scaling Agile takes time, commitment and patience. The outcomes are worth it, from increased ROI to employee morale. To scale agile an organisation will almost always require outside firms to consult on the implementation. This doesn’t mean there aren’t Agile teams and coaches in FTE at the company. In fact it’s necessary and part of the checklist below.
Having an external management firm consult on the implementation will allow for global assessment, no bias or control issues, but as important they will bring in the valued experience of having done it before.
Here are the seven broad brush propositions (in checklist form), if an organisation wants to embark on an expanded agile implementation.
We highly recommend you download the full checklist series, and determine if now is the right time to help your organisation bring each one to life.
We can work with you on each one or all together at an enterprise level. Reach out to us for a discussion on your business readiness.
Have you done what you can do to reinvigorate your organisation?
1. Broad Alignment on Purpose
- Have you run an OKR Session to set goals to achieve and key metrics for measurement?
- Can OKRs be cascaded down to the squads to deliver as Themes and Epics?
- Do you have a process in which OKRs are reviewed on a regular basis?
2. Certainty of Team and Funding
- Do you have persistent teams to bring work to?
- If the teams are unable to be 100% dedicated, do you have deliberate mechanisms to minimise impact?
- Have you given the appropriate tools and technologies to enable their collaboration and work delivery?
3. Autonomy and Collaboration
- Do you have a redesigned organisational structure that supports the Agile ways of working? (e.g. Tribes, Agile teams, Centres of Expertise (CoE), Chapters?
- Have you defined the design principles to guide your decisions in designing an Agile Organisation?
4. Empowered People with Authority
- Have you developed a Job Description (JD) to recruit potential Agile roles in to the organisation?
- Have you communicated the responsibilities of the various Agile roles in an Agile organisation? e.g. Product Owner, Chapter Lead, Team Member
5. Growth Mindset Culture with Embedded Test and Learn Behaviours
- Do you have a prioritisation framework to determine the priority of the work to be delivered?
- Have you built in a test-and-learn mechanism to ensure that you improve your ways of working and delivery?
6. Sustainable Agile and Lean Practices
- Have you established a process to translate strategy into work?
- Have you set up the relevant Agile ceremonies?
- Have you prepared the relevant Agile artefacts?
7. Flexible Architecture and Integration
- Do you have the necessary technology in place to drive work planning and progress?
- Do you have the platforms to allow teams to work with minimal dependencies?