The Back Story monthly interview features ADAPTOVATE employees from around the world. Each month we ask them 10 questions. Our team is the greatest asset we have, and its a privilege to share just a little bit more about who they are.
This month we feature Benny Ko – a consultant in Melbourne, Australia.
- First up – how long have you worked with us?
1 year and 3 months
2. Why did you join us? Were you in the industry previously, or looking for a new career direction?
The culture of ADAPTOVATE attracted me to apply for the role. I did some research into our company and saw the Bali offsite and the diverse talent that works for Adaptovate. The opportunities working with BCG and our global clients was really attractive to me.
3. How has your previous experience and career helped define where you are now? Would you have done things differently?
My experience working in an agile environment from the beginning of my career defined my style of working. It made me understand the importance and benefits of being in an agile team for software and strategy development.
4. How do you balance your work life with your ‘real’ life – Do you have a good balance and how important is it to you?
I try to switch off from work during the weekend and find other things to do such as exercise, eating & drinking and photography. It’s more important than ever to take some time off every now and then to relax and recharge.
5. With so many of our team remote working, we always like to ask how do you have your home office/desk set up? Organised or chaos? Any top tips?
I try my best to keep my home office clean as possible and somewhat organised. My top tips would be to have natural light, a comfortable chair and a sit-stand desk.
6.Do you play music during your Agile workshops with clients? What do you recommend on your latest playlist?
Depending on the energy required in the workshop, I would play different music. For example if I want the participants to relax, I would play some jazz. If I want them to generate ideas I would play some music with more energy like dance or pop
7. How do you think technology has best helped humanity and do you have any concerns about our future?
COVID has really shown the importance of technology. We have seen so many people work and study from home. We used technology to stay connected while we are physically apart. My biggest concern is the security of our data with so much information being uploaded to the internet every day and many reports of hacking.
8. Strategic Foresight allows companies to detect changes early and ensure action is taken quickly. Which companies have you seen able to change and adapt quickly? (and hopefully using Agile methods to do so)
The development of the COVID vaccine has been a great example of change and adapt quickly. Traditionally a vaccine will take a few years to develop but in 2020 scientists have shown how powerful being able to adapt and collaborate really is.
9. What does success mean to you personally?
Success means when a client understands the value and importance of agile ways of working and how they can continue to apply the mindset once we leave.
10.Finally – You’ve time travelled back to your 10- year old self – What advice would you give?
My advice would be to network more and talk to more people. Listen to their stories and learn from their experiences. Take hold of every learning opportunity you see.
11. Special 11th Question – How have you found 2020, and working through life and work during COVID?
2020 was a challenging year but also a great time to reflect. I personally found it amazing to continue to work and deliver value to my team and clients while working from home. I took 2020 also as a break from travelling to work and clients which meant I could spend more timing with my family and to do things around the house.